Friday 13 September 2013

To Buttress My Earlier Point (Post 15)

'The fool who has said in his heart there is no God above.'

To buttress the points made in the last article, below is an excerpt from an issue of Amnesty magazine on the much maligned rights of Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual people in Africa. There are a few myths surrounding our perception of GLB people that are quite like what my previous article referred to.

Myth 1: Same sex activity is alien to African culture
Africa, like the rest of the world has a long history of same-sex sexuality and transgender identities. A cave painting in modern day Zimbabwe depicting sex between men is over 2000 years old while marriages between women have been documented in over 40 ethnic groups in sub-Saharan Africa.

Myth 2: Homophobia is part of African tradition
Laws criminalising 'homosexuality' are largely a direct legacy of colonialism: they had no basis in local customary law. The colonising powers and imported religions encouraged Africans to view dislike and fear of Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual people as a sign of progress and civilisation. Today, the religious right in the USA actively funds and promotes homophobia in Africa.

Myth 3: All African clergy are homophobic
Religious leaders have contributed to the oppression and persecution of Lesbian and Gay and Bisexual people in Africa. However, several religious leaders, mostly Christian and Muslim, have called for religious and social acceptance. Examples include Bishop Senyonjo in Uganda and Archbishop Desmond Tutu in South Africa who famously said he would not worship a homophobic god.

Amnesty (2013) Out in Africa. Making Love a Crime: homophobia in Africa, 2013, 178. p14-15

2 comments:

  1. I just happened on your posts on nairaland and was subsequently led to this blog. This blog is so replete with logic and common sense, I wish you post more. Where are you, comrade?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I was reading the post on nairaland about juju magic. I was led there because I was reading a recent article in the NYT that talked about juju magic and how young women are forced into human trafficking by people who have apparently scared them into believing that a juju curse is real. I'm not Nigerian, I'm African, but I wanted to know whether or not some Nigerians truly believe that juju is real. I read your comments on that blog and I found your logic to be so interesting. I will check back here to see if you ever log back on!

    ReplyDelete