Thursday 15 March 2012

Logic of Choices (Post 5)

                                                              'The fool who has said in his heart, there's no God above.'
Please bear with me Nigeria. I will soon come to the one thing I am sure is brewing at the back of your minds – my reason for not believing in the existence of God or the supernatural.
But first, let me thoroughly thrash the issue on choices. I began by imploring us to seek to make informed choices and waded into the likely reason for our current religious choice, a reason which I think is quite warped.
And then, I touched on the God of the Hebrews who has been inherited as the God of the major religions – a God who governs our day to day lives with rules; ten commandments for Christians and whatever else it is for Muslims.
Since this God has also made clear that there will be reward for those who stick to the rules and punishment for those who do not, I’d like to dwell a little on the logic of choices.
A lot of Christians and, perhaps, religious people might be acquainted with the notion of freewill, a quality of all humans. As a matter of fact, this freewill was supposed to have been in play when Adam and Eve (by Christian tradition) chose to disobey God and eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. We will visit this whole story in its literal and metaphorical interpretations later.
Anyway, this is how God set the stage; humans have got freewill, freedom to choose between good and evil – in other words, God’s laws or their own. Whatever choice they make bears its consequences; in fact, the bible clearly states ‘I have set before you life and death. Choose life therefore and live.’ Again, please don’t expect my biblical excerpts to be all set out nicely; this is not a bible study article.
Now, let’s analyse freewill. ‘Will’ refers to the rational ability to make a choice; ‘Free’ refers to freedom from any retribution or reward for that choice from an outside party.
By the logic of choices, therefore, a choice really given to freedom cannot have its consequences outside the choice itself. I’ll explain more clearly.
If I cruelly allow my child the freedom to choose between playing with that sharp knife he loves or that rubber ball he is bored with. I am really saying, ‘I wash my hands off you here; whatever you reap from your choice is your problem.’
I call this cruel because parents, until their children are old enough to lead their own independent lives, are not supposed to give them freedom of choice even though the kids get to possess full powers of will from about the age of seven or eight.
So, parents are more likely to say; ‘You are free to choose between doing what I say which is not to go out after 7pm or not. But if you disobey my rules, there’ll be hell to pay.’ That hell is two-fold; one from the act itself as the child might encounter some danger if they went out after dark and from the parents who would exact severe punishment. Sounds familiar? Yes, this second set of options sounds quite like those offered by the biblical God; it is not a really free choice.
Free choices must find their consequences within the choices themselves, for instance, the child cuts himself with the sharp knife or has a boring but safe play with the rubber ball. Or better still, in a democratic election, people should reap the consequences of their vote from the conduct of the elected rather than from a terrorist gang who punish or reward them for their choices.  
Once the consequences arise from outside the action like from the parents punishing the child or from God sending people to hell, it ceases to be a free choice.
So there is really no freewill in religion. There is will, no doubt but it is meant to be directed without question at an already determined path carved out by the God of that religion.
Now, if will is not free, it is not really will, is it? If I have the ability to choose but I can’t really choose freely but, instead, am expected to pick what has already been chosen as the way by God or face his wrath in hell, then I don’t really have the ability to choose, do I? In essence, I am not really living and acting in a fully human capacity since I lack freewill.

No comments:

Post a Comment